WCUW, 91.3 FM, is a non-commercial, community access radio station owned and operated by WCUW, Inc., an independent, educational corporation dedicated to the exploration and improvement of the communications media in the Central New England area.
WCUW seeks to inform, entertain and enlighten.
We seek to make a positive difference in the lives of the people of Central New England:
- striving to involve those communities typically under-represented by the media in programming and operations;
- providing responsible community members access to the facilities and training, regardless of race, creed, sex, life style, or age;
- educating the community about local issues;
- supporting local artists, activities and culture;
- promoting awareness of global culture and issues;
- fostering creative freedom and experimentation in the use of the communications media;
- operating the station through participatory democracy;
- and participating in the National Federation of Community Broadcasters.
WCUW's broadcast studios are located at:
910 Main St., Worcester, MA 01610
Our business phone is: 508-753-1012
Our on-air studio request line is: 508-753-2284
WCUW was originally launched on the AM dial by Robert Goddard, rocket scientist and Father of Modern Rocketry, in the fall of 1922 while a professor at Clark University. He assembled the components funded by $800 in donations from local businesses and through the switch to broadcast to the local community and become amoung the earliest radio stations in the nation.
In the fall of 1973, from a converted fall-out shelter in their dorm, a group of Clark University students with the support of a federal grant launched WCUW on the FM dial at 91.3 as an independant Community Radio Station .
For 35 years WCUW has served the community of central Massachusetts as independant, listener supported, community radio station where we believe in diversity of programming and freedom of the airwaves.